Tools to keep kids safe
Choosing the right content for your family can be challenging. But broadcasters provide you with a range of ways to help you decide what is suitable for your tamariki and rangitahi. On free-to-air television there are several easy ways you can make sure that what they watch is going to be OK for them, including:
- Setting parental locks on your TV or set-top box
- Checking the classifications
- Knowing the times when M, 16 and 18 classification programmes can play
- Looking out for audience advisories: symbols and warnings
- Talking to your kids about what they watch, how it makes them feel and what upsets them
- If they see something that upsets them, talk to them about it. Check out some of the resources on our resources section.
- You can also look up reviews of many programmes on the internet - see our resources section.